800g beef chuck steak, diced in chunks
2 tbsp oil
1 large onion, finely sliced
2 tsp minced garlic
500g mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp sweet paprika
2 cups of beef stock
1 tsp cornflour
2 tbsp sour cream
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Over medium high heat, add 1 tbsp of oil and brown off beef. Transfer to an oven proof dish, add 1 cup of beef stock, cover and bake for 1 - 1 1/2 hours (until beef is tender and stock has almost reduced to nothing). Hint: Use an ovenproof pan that can go directly from stovetop to oven.
- Over medium high heat, fry off onion, mushrooms and garlic with oil in a large non stick fry pan for about 5 minutes.
- Stir through paprika, tomato paste and 3/4 cup of beef stock.
- Mix the last bit of beef stock with the cornflour to make a paste.
- Add to the pan the beef chunks along with any remaining stock and stir in the cornflour mixture. Reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for a further 10 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream just before serving. Hint: Give the sour cream a mix before adding to the pan so that it isn't so chunky. This will make it easier to stir through the sauce.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.